Broken symlinks in Cups

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Fri Aug 17 13:20:48 PDT 2007

Randy McMurchy wrote:

> Which book are you referring to, Chris? The development (SVN) book
> already has commands to take care of the symlinks. Perhaps you just
> overlooked them?

Oops, I see it now, and yes, I was using the dev book. Funny, it was
*after* I sent that message (when I was already on my way to work so it
was too late to check) that I thought I should triple-check the book's
instructions to make sure I didn't simply miss something, although I was
pretty sure I did when I ran the commands it gives...

OK, now I just double-checked my command history and I *did* run all the
commands in that section...I just took a closer look and it seems that
the cause is that the first gunzip command is failing, which (thanks to
the && construct) prevents the rest (which handles those symlinks) not
to be run. Here's the key line from the output that is causing the
problem...

gzip: /usr/share/man/man8/cups-.8.gz: No such file or directory

Apparently the gunzip command is looking for a "cups-.8.gz" that does
not exist. I think this is due to an extra "," in this line...

8/{accept,cups{d,addsmb,enable,-{deviced,driverd,lpd,polld,}},\

If I just remove the comma right after "polld" the whole thing works fine.

Sorry for not double-checking this earlier...but hopefully this time I
actually did find a real problem...or did I just miss something again
and waste even more of your time?