Why all these new packages?

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Aug 16 16:14:49 PDT 2007

Hi all,

In case anyone hasn't noticed, I've added several packages all having
to do with the GnuPG and GnuTLS projects. I'll be adding several more
as well. There are several reasons for this:

1. I saw this monstrosity (that I put in the book) in the dependencies
   for kdepim:

   GPGME (requires Libgcrypt-1.2.4 then Pth-2.0.7 then Libassuan-1.0.2 then
    Libksba, pinentry, OpenSC and then GnuPG-1.9.x)

  Some of which is not even accurate (pinentry and OpenSC are probably
  not required). So I wanted to clean this up some.

2. I was tired as hell of seeing (it was in about 10 places) the
   dependency of:

   GnuTLS (which needs libgcrypt, which needs libgpg-error)

   So I added GnuTLS and that issue is now cleaned up.

3. Sooner or later we'll probably move to GnuPG-2.x. When we do, all
   the packages I'm putting in the book will be required. So may as well
   do it, while it's fresh in my mind and I have time and motivation.

Thoughts from others? Am I wasting my time?

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.27] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]