Gnome-Python

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 11:29:32 PDT 2007

On 8/12/07, M.Canales.es <macana at macana-es.com> wrote:
> El Domingo, 12 de Agosto de 2007 18:36, Dan Nicholson escribió:
>
> > And by couple of hours, I meant 15 :) Anyway, it's in there now at
> > r7047. The text is still quite lacking, but I believe the stats and
> > dependencies are accurate.
>
> I don't know if the dependencies are accurate or not, but to can build all
> listed modules other 108 packages need be build. And that following only the
> required and recommended dependencies.

I'd believe that. The main motivation that I wanted to split up into
dependencies needed for each module is for this reason. For instance,
gedit wants to use the gtksourceview module from gnome-python-desktop.
If you were going to try to tackle all the modules in
gnome-python-desktop, you would be in dependency hell for a long time
(I know because I've done it :) At least this way you can identify a
path of least resistance if you need one of the modules.

In fact, trying to build the python plugins for gedit was the initial
reason why I started this nastiness and why I happen to know how to
break things down by module. In my setup, I break up the modules into
separate packages to ease the dependencies. I thought about making
separate ids for each sub-module, but then figured it wasn't much
gain. I realize that this is gonna hurt in jhalfs :) If you have any
suggestions on how to break things up a bit, let me know.

So, yeah, it's still rough.

--
Dan