X11R6 compatibility symlink

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 09:21:10 PDT 2007

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 06:49:34PM -0500, Randy McMurchy wrote:
>> And this is the 'blanket' file that goes on broken packages pages:
>>
>> +    <para>This package (unfortunately) expects the <application>X
>> +    Window</application> system to be installed in the
>> +    <filename class='directory'>/usr/X11R6</filename> directory. If you're
>> +    using a recent version of <application>Xorg</application> and it is
>> +    installed in any other location, ensure you have
>> +    followed the instructions in the <xref linkend="X11R6-compat-symlink"/>
>> +    section.</para>
>>
>  Nice restrained text - if it was me, I'd probably use
> 'inappropriate' language about packages whose developers don't keep
> up to date with changes.  But one quibble - unless blfs has got rid
> of XFree86 (and I wouldn't argue with that), doesn't the choice of
> where to install also apply to XFree86 (e.g. the book currently has
> #define ProjectRoot /usr).
>
>  So maybe s/Xorg/xwindows/ (without capitalisation) ?

It is never xwindows.  It is the 'X Window System'.  It has the well
know shorthand notation 'X'.

Personally I think I'd say:

This package expects the X Window system to be installed in the
/usr/X11R6 directory. If you have installed X in any other location,
ensure you have created a compatibility symbolic link as described in
the <xref linkend="X11R6-compat-symlink"/> section.