X11R6 compatibility symlink

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Aug 11 17:43:02 PDT 2007

On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 06:49:34PM -0500, Randy McMurchy wrote:

> And this is the 'blanket' file that goes on broken packages pages:
>
> +    <para>This package (unfortunately) expects the <application>X
> +    Window</application> system to be installed in the
> +    <filename class='directory'>/usr/X11R6</filename> directory. If you're
> +    using a recent version of <application>Xorg</application> and it is
> +    installed in any other location, ensure you have
> +    followed the instructions in the <xref linkend="X11R6-compat-symlink"/>
> +    section.</para>

 Nice restrained text - if it was me, I'd probably use
'inappropriate' language about packages whose developers don't keep
up to date with changes.  But one quibble - unless blfs has got rid
of XFree86 (and I wouldn't argue with that), doesn't the choice of
where to install also apply to XFree86 (e.g. the book currently has
#define ProjectRoot /usr).

 So maybe s/Xorg/xwindows/ (without capitalisation) ?

ĸen