X11R6 compatibility symlink

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Aug 11 13:43:14 PDT 2007

DJ Lucas wrote these words on 08/11/07 15:29 CST:
> Randy McMurchy wrote:
>> I'm not sure if at the very end of it, we can add "or /usr". Seems
>> most of the scripts looking for the X11R6 also fall back to /usr, but
>> I can't say for sure. It would be nice if that was the case.
>>
> For most, yes, but there are a couple, or at least there were around the
> time of the first release, that didn't look in /usr.  In fact, IIRC
> there were a couple that had /usr/X11R6 in the source code.

Okay, so it would be "any location other than /usr/X11R6". I'm working
on it now.

> Those interested can look at the XML sources to
> see exactly what we did before and none of those previous 'workarounds'
> are lost.

Or, someone with some time on their hands could move the hacks onto
the Wiki, and provide a URL to it on the concerned page. :-)

So are we all on the same page with this and accept the fact that
a X11R6 symlink is just a necessary evil at this point? And modify
the affected packages to comment out the hacks and throw in an
xinclude to a blanket file?

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.26] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
15:38:00 up 9 days, 15:29, 1 user, load average: 0.07, 0.02, 0.02