X11R6 compatibility symlink

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Aug 11 13:31:25 PDT 2007

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Randy McMurchy wrote these words on 08/11/07 14:08 CST:
>
>> I am certainly guilty about not helping out on this one. I've made
>> the symlink in every installation I've done because "it just works".
>> Seems anything else is just banging your head against the wall.
>>

> This comes off poorly. What I should have said is:

No it doesn't come off poorly.  This is why I always argued against the
symlink before.  We've all sidestepped this one.  The grep and seds in
the book only help our readers, not the maintainer or anybody else
outside of the project who might have the same problem.

Just do it, and keep the explanation simple and not discuss the
'necessary evil'.  Explain that it's an optional stopgap until upstream
(the whole world?) gets their stuff together.  It is our responsibility
to make sure that it gets done, not our readers', unless of course they
choose to.  The experienced  reader will know that it's bad when we he
or she sees 'compatibility' or 'stopgap' and take on the task if they
choose, as will our developers if/when they have the time to do so.

-- DJ Lucas