X11R6 compatibility symlink

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Aug 11 13:29:37 PDT 2007

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Randy McMurchy wrote these words on 08/11/07 14:59 CST:
>

>> I'll work on writing the paragraph unless somebody beats me to it.
>>

> Thinking about it more, what about the paragraph we are already talking
> about, and for each page that we're now providing some X11R6 hack we put
> in a xinclude statement to a blanket file and comment out all the hacks.
>
> The blanket file would say something to the effect of:
>
> This package requires the X11R6 compat symlink created at the beginning
> of the X installation (provide xref link right to it) if your X is
> installed in any location other than /usr/X11R6.
>
> I'm not sure if at the very end of it, we can add "or /usr". Seems
> most of the scripts looking for the X11R6 also fall back to /usr, but
> I can't say for sure. It would be nice if that was the case.

For most, yes, but there are a couple, or at least there were around the
time of the first release, that didn't look in /usr.  In fact, IIRC
there were a couple that had /usr/X11R6 in the source code.  Anyway, I
do like that better.  Those interested can look at the XML sources to
see exactly what we did before and none of those previous 'workarounds'
are lost.

-- DJ Lucas