X11R6 compatibility symlink

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Aug 11 13:12:24 PDT 2007

Randy McMurchy wrote these words on 08/11/07 14:59 CST:

> I'll work on writing the paragraph unless somebody beats me to it.

Thinking about it more, what about the paragraph we are already talking
about, and for each page that we're now providing some X11R6 hack we put
in a xinclude statement to a blanket file and comment out all the hacks.

The blanket file would say something to the effect of:

This package requires the X11R6 compat symlink created at the beginning
of the X installation (provide xref link right to it) if your X is
installed in any location other than /usr/X11R6.

I'm not sure if at the very end of it, we can add "or /usr". Seems
most of the scripts looking for the X11R6 also fall back to /usr, but
I can't say for sure. It would be nice if that was the case.

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.26] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
15:03:01 up 9 days, 14:54, 1 user, load average: 0.17, 0.21, 0.10