X11R6 compatibility symlink

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Aug 11 12:59:18 PDT 2007

Randy McMurchy wrote these words on 08/11/07 14:08 CST:

> I am certainly guilty about not helping out on this one. I've made
> the symlink in every installation I've done because "it just works".
> Seems anything else is just banging your head against the wall.

This comes off poorly. What I should have said is:

We have much bigger (more important) things that need to get done in
BLFS than try to "fix" each broken package with respect to the X11R6
problem. We can simply provide instructions to create the symlink,
explain that we don't like it but at this point it is a necessary
evil. :-)

I'll work on writing the paragraph unless somebody beats me to it.
DJ, I agree with your underlying thought about this mess, my point
was that I don't want to provide contradictory information (say
something is bad, but tell them to do it anyway) in the book if we
can help it.

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.26] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
14:52:00 up 9 days, 14:43, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00