[BLFS Trac] #2019: MPlayer-1.0rc1 (updated but still issues?)

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Aug 11 11:11:08 PDT 2007

> I think we should just add the /usr/X11R6 compat symlink stuff.
I am still against the symlink only because the real problem will just
be ignored longer if we work around it, however, that's not really any
different than the seds that are in the book now.  What is this, about
the 6th or 7th package in the book that has a problem with an alternate
prefix?  Ok, fine I've flipped...conditionally.  Let's put the symlink
in place, however, please put in a block of text explaining that it is a
stop gap and is a really bad thing to do _to_ the developers of the
broken packages.  Oh, and make it optional....maybe something to this
effect:

Quite a few packages in and beyond BLFS depend unconditionally on the
/usr/X11R6 directory because it has become accepted {bad?} practice due
to the length of time that it has been so.  With the release of X11R7,
this directory is no longer a suitable location as discussed earlier in
the introduction.  While they do make certain tasks easier,
compatibility symlinks are generally bad for development.  We tend to
depend on them, and the underlaying problem is not fixed for a very long
time.  If you are a developer and are comfortable with the autotools and
package-config packages, and would like to help upstream resolve these
issues properly, you are strongly encouraged to skip this step.  Know,
however, that later instructions in this book do depend on the symlink.
Execute the following command to create the compatibility symlink:

ln -s  $XORG_PREFIX /usr/X11R6