Just an FYI about MPlayer/FFmpeg

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Aug 10 19:05:52 PDT 2007

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote these words on 08/10/07 19:14 CST:

> Also the ability to use AMR audio codecs, because they can be easily
> added to the system FFMpeg, and it is not that easy to add them to the
> copy of FFMpeg bundled with MPlayer. This is important if you want to
> play *.3gp video files created by cellular phones.

Though what Alex says is correct, the previous method of installation
wasn't difficult either. I mean, all you had to do was unzip the
AMR tarballs into specific directories under the libavcodec directory
in the source tarball, and add the appropriate options to the
configure command.  :-)

Nowadays, however, you can install AMR system libraries and FFMpeg
uses them if they are found. So it is easier, not that it was difficult
before.

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.26] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
21:02:00 up 8 days, 20:53, 1 user, load average: 0.17, 0.04, 0.01