Just an FYI about MPlayer/FFmpeg

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 14:00:58 PDT 2007

On 8/10/07, Randy McMurchy <randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Craig Jackson wrote these words on 08/10/07 13:36 CST:
>
> > I've always wondered if this affects the codecs at all.  As far as I
> > can tell, the only benefit to a system-installed FFMpeg is having the
> > ability to have thumbnail previews in Gnome, KDE, etc.
>
> I've never build MPlayer with a system-installed FFmpeg before. It
> is "recommended" by the MPlayer devs to use the internal static version
> built into MPlayer. But the devs probably just say that because they
> know the version of FFmpeg that ships in a MPlayer tarball works
> properly.

The reason is more that FFmpeg has a notoriously unstable API (hence
why they never release). Read this blog post from one of the
maintainers of gstreamer-ffmpeg (towards the end of the entry).

http://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2007/02/15/gst-phonon-code-now-public/

They recently took out the ability to use the system ffmpeg because it
just caused them too many issues.

--
Dan