Python test suit /tmp removal

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Aug 9 04:11:44 PDT 2007

Matthew Burgess wrote these words on 08/09/07 05:28 CST:

> Well, the reason for the removal of the /tmp dir is that one of the tests does a recursive delete on the /tmp directory.  This means that if /tmp is empty (which it normally is during a build of Python early on in a BLFS build), the directory itself will be removed.  My workaround was to simply `touch /tmp/dummy' prior to the Python testsuite run and `rm /tmp/dummy' immediately afterwards.  As you point out, Randy, BLFS already warns folks not to compile/test stuff as root, so whether or not the workaround is suitable for the book instructions is up to you.

This seems like a good idea, just from the precautionary standpoint.

How does this sound for the book in the command explanation section:

"For those of you that don't bother to follow the book's instructions
and build/test packages as the root user, we've included some safeguard
commands."

Just kidding, Matt. :-) Thanks for the tip.

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.26] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
06:07:00 up 7 days, 5:58, 1 user, load average: 0.14, 0.05, 0.01