Python test suit /tmp removal

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Aug 9 02:42:09 PDT 2007

dragosi at web.de wrote these words on 08/08/07 23:50 CST:

> I've noticed that the Python test suite removes the /tmp directory when
> "make test" is run as root.

It seems someone else mentioned this a while back. I can't
remember what we decided to do.

> Running the tests as an unprivileged user circumvents this.

One should *never* run a package test suite as the root user.
In fact, one should *never* run any command as the root user
if he is not 100% confident what the result will be.

> Maybe it would be good to put a warning in the book?

Why? We already say to build and test the packages as an unprivileged
user and only become 'root' for the installation tasks (which are
individually identified). I look at it like this:

We already say "don't do that". Should we place a warning in the
book to say "We really mean it, don't do that!"?

:-)

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.26] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
04:35:00 up 7 days, 4:26, 1 user, load average: 0.05, 0.01, 0.00