New LiveCD for testing: r2014

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Tue Aug 7 02:46:12 PDT 2007

Hello,

I have put 4 new CD images for testing on ums.usu.ru:

http://ums.usu.ru/~patrakov/test/lfslivecd-x86-6.3-r2014.iso
http://ums.usu.ru/~patrakov/test/lfslivecd-x86-6.3-r2014-nosrc.iso
http://ums.usu.ru/~patrakov/test/lfslivecd-x86_64-6.3-r2014.iso
http://ums.usu.ru/~patrakov/test/lfslivecd-x86_64-6.3-r2014-nosrc.iso

The x86 versions, as before, contain both 32-bit (linux) and 64-bit
(linux64) kernels and 32-bit userspace. The x86_64 version contains
64-bit kernel and 64-bit userspace, and should be used with CLFS or this
book: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~jhuntwork/lfs-x86_64/

Since LFS is close to its 6.3 release, these CD versions should give you
a close approximation of what will become the 6.3 LiveCD release, if
any. I say "if any" because of bugs and untested updates that I don't
want to go into a "stable" release. The worst possibly-existing
non-documentation bug is
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/livecd/ticket/1736, but if you have
information about other bugs, please share it too.

Owners of motherboards with Intel IDE and/or SATA controllers can help
by downloading and testing the CD, and answering the following questions:

1) How (i.e., with IDE or SATA) are your CD-ROMs and hard disks connected?
2) Does your motherboard use Intel or third-party (e.g., Marvel) chipset
for the CD-ROM and hard disk connection? Please provide the output of
"lspci" if in doubt. If there is something like "Native/AHCI" chioce in
the BIOS, please test both options.
3) Does the LFS LiveCD detect the CD drive and the hard disk without
special boot arguments? What are the device nodes created for them? What
are the device nodes created for them in other distributions and/or your
self-compiled kernels (please name the distribution and its version)?
4) Do "IDE port busy" or "failed to request/iomap BARs" errors like
those in http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/7/20/171 appear in the "dmesg"
command output? Does "hdparm -tT" display reasonable speed for your hard
drives?
5) Does the CD boot if you type "linux pata" at the boot loader screen
instead of just pressing Enter? Any errors in dmesg? What are the device
nodes?

If at least one of "Intel IDE only", "mixed Intel IDE/SATA", "Intel SATA
plus third party IDE" and "Intel SATA only" case doesn't get covered by
your replies, there will be no LFS-6.3 LiveCD.

To get this task easier for you, here are my answers:

1) Both the CD-ROM and the hard disk are connected to SATA ports.
2) SATA controller is by Intel (both "Legacy", "Native" and "AHCI"
options work fine), IDE is by Marvel (but there is nothing connected to
the IDE port, so can't test).
3) Yes, /dev/sda is the hard drive, /dev/scd0 is the CD-ROM in both
cases, the hard disk speed is around 80 MB/s, the same applies to Debian
Lenny.
4) No such messages, probably because they are supposed to appear only
in the "mixed Intel IDE/SATA" case.
5) Yes, it works exactly the same as without the "pata" option.

Another task for testers: open
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/livecd/browser/trunk/packages, and test
each package if you can. Send reports what works (even if you don't find
any bugs - simply for me to see what users test and what they don't) and
what doesn't. Untested packages are likely to be removed in the future.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov