sftp/Kerberos [was: Re: Optional editline dependencies]

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Aug 1 08:31:32 PDT 2007

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> Yes. I did try to address this by using readelf, not ldd. This lists
> only direct dependencies. There are indeed unused direct dependencies in
> Debian's sftp - but libedit is not one of them:
>
> patrakov at home:~$ ldd -u /usr/bin/sftp
> Unused direct dependencies:
>         /lib/i686/cmov/libresolv.so.2
>         /usr/lib/i686/cmov/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
>         /lib/i686/cmov/libutil.so.1
>         /usr/lib/libz.so.1
>         /lib/i686/cmov/libnsl.so.1
>         /lib/i686/cmov/libcrypt.so.1
>         /usr/lib/libgssapi_krb5.so.2
>         /usr/lib/libkrb5.so.3
>         /usr/lib/libk5crypto.so.3
>         /lib/libcom_err.so.2

(Note: this message is for the purpose of conversation only and
does not reflect anything about the point Alex is making)

I struggle with the example shown above (probably my ignorance
of sftp though).

If sftp does not use the Kerberos libraries, then how does it
know where the user's home directory is on the remote machine
to find the appropriate SSH information in a Kerberos
installation where /etc/passwd is not used?

(I'm asking this question fully realizing that in a Kerberos
installation, you probably wouldn't be using SSH anyway, as you
would probably be using the Kerberos tools instead.)

--
Randy