Optional editline dependencies

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Aug 1 07:11:08 PDT 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote:

> Two things I think should be noted here. First, just because it's
> designed on BSD and ported to Linux later doesn't mean it won't work
> here. OpenSSH works the exact same way,

Not sure how OpenSSH and libedit have some sort of commonality,
but unless this item is the same as your next item (the new
active port), I don't understand what you are driving at. Could
you please clarify (if it is important to the discussion).

> Second, there is a very active port, pointed to in Ag's commit, that's
> different from the Sourceforge version which is ancient. It'd be
> interesting to know if the past breakage still occurs with this
> version.

This I did not realize. Thanks for pointing it out. We will need
to check it out. I do know that most packages that use libedit,
use the version from SF (at least I think so), and that is no
good.

> Any chance you can point to the old discussion? The only one I can find is here:
>
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/pipermail/blfs-dev/2006-March/014048.html

I am going on memory. If it really matters (I remember there
being more than just one post on the subject), we'll need to
search the archives. I'm not very good at it. Seems you and
Archaic have both recently posted about some tools you use that
make searching the Archives easier. I've never used either of
these tools.

> Points 4 and 5 are not true using this port:
>
> http://www.thrysoee.dk/editline/

Indeed, you are correct. Thanks again for pointing out that
it is a new version, not the old one, Ag put in the book. Seems
something like this should be discussed (or at least mentioned)
on -dev before it is put in the book, so as to avoid any confusion
by dummies like me.

> Now, I'm still not opposed to keeping it out of the book, but I want
> to make sure we're on the same page here.

Agreed. We were not on the same page. But at least we've got the
issue out in the open now. I am not in a position to test, nor
really even look at this new libedit until tomorrow.

--
Randy