BLFS Project

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Nov 30 22:20:00 PST 2006

Dan Nicholson wrote these words on 11/22/06 08:59 CST:
> On 11/20/06, Randy McMurchy <randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>>  I don't believe this Belgarath
>> upgrade is going to happen, and the project is completely
>> dying because of it.
>
> FWIW, Gerard targetted the Thanksgiving weekend as the time when he
> would finish the server upgrade. So, I'd wait until next week before
> counting it out completely.

Yeah, well I've waited out the Thanksgiving weekend (and the week
following it), but I'm not sure if there is a Canadian Thanksgiving
with a different time frame, so it could be a nationality conflict.

However, I'm still in the crowd that says it ain't going to
happen. :-(

This new server is what the American government would like to
call a *stealth* server. Problem is, this *stealth* server
doesn't exist. And what a drag.

In case folks are wondering, here is a CPU info of the current
LFS server as of 12/01/2006:

[SSH] randy at belgarath: ~ > cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 746.770
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
bogomips        : 1490.94

This is a pitiful, and dying server. There is no reason that Gerard
can't put the new hardware on line other than he just doesn't want to,
or really had no intentions on doing it in the first place.

Nobody could take this long to put a server in service ( 8 months???)
where the hardware was paid for. Too bad Gerard is head of the project,
because it is such a good thing, and now being derailed by the originator.
Gerard, you should be ashamed. Sorry to be so critical, but I've
simply given up. Too much time has elapsed, and the user base is now
gone. You sir, have destroyed the project.

Was it intentional? Please answer the question.

Gerard,
What's the chance you will simply let go of your project and let
somebody else guide it. In six months, if nothing happens, the project
will be dead. Please, let it go. Folks donated money and bottom line
is that you have screwed them over.

There is no other way to look at this now.

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.23] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]