A couple suggested changes and package updates

Alex Merry alexander.merry at ccc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 30 09:02:08 PST 2006

On Thursday 30 November 2006 01:57, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> $ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/20-alsa.rules
> # Give the audio group ownership of sound devices
> SUBSYSTEM=="sound", GROUP="audio"
> SUBSYSTEM=="snd", GROUP="audio"
>
> # ALSA Devices
> # When a sound device is detected, restore the volume settings
> KERNEL=="controlC[0-9]*", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/usr/sbin/alsactl
> restore %n"
>
> Although there's also a bug about adding another command to restore
> the volume settings. I don't know if it's needed.

Another command is needed to store the settings on shutdown. AFAIK, udev
has no easy way of doing this, since I believe the remove action is
only executed _after_ the device node is deleted.  As it currently
stands, this rule will only restore the sound levels as they were when
`alsactl store` was last executed (as root).

Alex :-)

--
Pippin
Computer Monkey to the Pelican