A couple suggested changes and package updates

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 17:57:47 PST 2006

On 11/29/06, Robert Daniels <0m3g4_w34p0n at earthlink.net> wrote:

> This is my first time posting to a dev list, so bear with me if I
> don't do it quite right.  I've been using {,B,C}LFS as my main
> system for close to a year now, and I thought I'd try giving a
> little back.

Thanks. If you can't tell, the developers are slacking. So, help is appreciated.

> First off is the Udev rule for ALSA created in the directions for
> the alsa-utils package. The lines reading "KERNEL="xxx" are
> syntax errors that cause the rule to not be loaded.  I noticed
> a ticket has already been opened for this (#2125) but as it has
> been sitting there for months I thought I'd bring it up anyway.

I thought this one was dead. It should be. I think there's an open bug
about it. There should be. All the KERNEL= lines should be removed
because they're already covered by the rules installed in LFS-6.2
(look in 25-lfs.rules). The full rule installed with alsa-utils should
just be this:

$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/20-alsa.rules
# Give the audio group ownership of sound devices
SUBSYSTEM=="sound", GROUP="audio"
SUBSYSTEM=="snd", GROUP="audio"

# ALSA Devices
# When a sound device is detected, restore the volume settings
KERNEL=="controlC[0-9]*", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/usr/sbin/alsactl restore %n"

Although there's also a bug about adding another command to restore
the volume settings. I don't know if it's needed.

> Second, about the XDG_DATA_DIRS and XDG_CONFIG_DIRS
> variables.  I have found that if you install packages into a prefix
> other than /usr, the mime data for these packages is not picked
> up on, so, at least in XFCE, the desktop environment is unable
> to associate file types with those programs.  I don't know if
> there is a configure switch to place this information in the standard
> /usr/share directory or if it would be more appropriate to note
> that the XDG variables need to be updated if the package is
> installed in an alternate prefix, but I think it would be nice to
> have this documented somewhere in the book.

The desktop-file-utils page does, in fact, document these variables.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/desktop-file-utils.html

The gnome configuration page also mentions them. Perhaps they should
be in a couple other places like the xfce page. This issue comes up
often.

> Last, but not least, package update reports! Yay!
> I have installed openssl-0.9.8d, shared-mime-info-0.19,
> desktop-file-utils-0.12, alsa 1.0.13, and bluefish-1.0.6 using the
> standard BLFSinstructions without problems, so that's easy.
> I have also upgraded to gimp-2.3.12, mplayer-1.0rc1, and XFCE-3.99.2,
> but these required some changes to the compilation commands.
>
>  - gimp-2.3.12 now has an optional dependency on the pyGTK bindings
>    If pyGTK is not installed, you must disable it explicitly in the configure
>    step.  Also, the keybindings.txt and quick_reference.ps files no longer
>    exist in the doc subfolder.  They may have been moved elsewhere,
>    I'm not sure.
>
>  - mplayer-1.0rc1 had a couple changes.  One is the configure switch to
>    specify the directory for the binary codecs.  It has changed from
>    --with-codecsdir to simply --codecsdir.  Also, the mplayer team has
>    changed the standard skin directory from "Skin" to "skins". The
>    configure script should also have "CFLAGS= " prepended to it, since
>    the compilation is very likely to fail if CFLAGS is set in the environment.
>    I did not install the documentation, so I am unsure if these commands
>    are still correct.
>
>  - I realize that xfce-4.3.99.2 is a development version, which you like to
>    avoid, but I personally feel that considering its progress since 4.2.3.2 and
>    close proximity to full release, it warrants an update in the book.  I pretty
>    much just followed the directions they give on  their site, but may still
>    require additional configure switches to place things in standard LFS
>    locations, as you do in the directions for 4.2.3.2 with --sysconfdir.  There
>    are also some dependency changes for the build.  If you would like, I can
>    try to document this further in another post.

All very nice. I very much encourage you to put this info in the
tickets on the wiki.

http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/report

Create yourself an account and try to find an associated ticket with
each of those packages. Add your comments about your experience. If
there's no ticket describing one of those packages, create a new one.
This way, the comments won't go away, and the developer has another
person's experience to leverage.

Thanks a lot.

--
Dan