A couple suggested changes and package updates

Robert Daniels 0m3g4_w34p0n at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 29 17:43:11 PST 2006

Hello all,
This is my first time posting to a dev list, so bear with me if I
don't do it quite right.  I've been using {,B,C}LFS as my main
system for close to a year now, and I thought I'd try giving a
little back.

First off is the Udev rule for ALSA created in the directions for
the alsa-utils package. The lines reading "KERNEL="xxx" are
syntax errors that cause the rule to not be loaded.  I noticed
a ticket has already been opened for this (#2125) but as it has
been sitting there for months I thought I'd bring it up anyway.

Second, about the XDG_DATA_DIRS and XDG_CONFIG_DIRS
variables.  I have found that if you install packages into a prefix
other than /usr, the mime data for these packages is not picked
up on, so, at least in XFCE, the desktop environment is unable
to associate file types with those programs.  I don't know if
there is a configure switch to place this information in the standard
/usr/share directory or if it would be more appropriate to note
that the XDG variables need to be updated if the package is
installed in an alternate prefix, but I think it would be nice to
have this documented somewhere in the book.

Last, but not least, package update reports! Yay!
I have installed openssl-0.9.8d, shared-mime-info-0.19,
desktop-file-utils-0.12, alsa 1.0.13, and bluefish-1.0.6 using the
standard BLFSinstructions without problems, so that's easy.
I have also upgraded to gimp-2.3.12, mplayer-1.0rc1, and XFCE-3.99.2,
but these required some changes to the compilation commands.

 - gimp-2.3.12 now has an optional dependency on the pyGTK bindings
   If pyGTK is not installed, you must disable it explicitly in the configure
   step.  Also, the keybindings.txt and quick_reference.ps files no longer
   exist in the doc subfolder.  They may have been moved elsewhere,
   I'm not sure.

 - mplayer-1.0rc1 had a couple changes.  One is the configure switch to
   specify the directory for the binary codecs.  It has changed from
   --with-codecsdir to simply --codecsdir.  Also, the mplayer team has
   changed the standard skin directory from "Skin" to "skins". The
   configure script should also have "CFLAGS= " prepended to it, since
   the compilation is very likely to fail if CFLAGS is set in the environment.
   I did not install the documentation, so I am unsure if these commands
   are still correct.

 - I realize that xfce-4.3.99.2 is a development version, which you like to
   avoid, but I personally feel that considering its progress since 4.2.3.2 and
   close proximity to full release, it warrants an update in the book.  I pretty
   much just followed the directions they give on  their site, but may still
   require additional configure switches to place things in standard LFS
   locations, as you do in the directions for 4.2.3.2 with --sysconfdir.  There
   are also some dependency changes for the build.  If you would like, I can
   try to document this further in another post.

That's all for now.  A little more long-winded than I'd planned, but oh  well.

Thanks for all your hard work, and keep it up.

Robert