Subversion Upgrade

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 29 10:44:30 PST 2006

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Just a heads up concerning the latest Subversion release, 1.4.2. A very
> simple build/configuration built fine against current LFS svn.
> Apparently there are some major improvements with this release:
>
>     *  svnsync, a new repository mirroring tool
>     * Huge working-copy performance improvements
>     * Support for BerkeleyDB 4.4 and its "auto recovery" feature
>     * Size improvements to the binary delta algorithm
>     * A handful of new command switches
>     * Many improved APIs
>     * More than 40 new bugfixes
>
> More on the BDB updates: "Subversion 1.4 can now be compiled against
> BerkeleyDB 4.4, which has a new "auto-recovery" feature. If a Subversion
> server process crashes and leaves the repository in an inconsistent
> state, the next process which attempts to access the repository will
> notice the problem, grab exclusive control of the repository, and
> automatically recover it. In theory (and in our testing), this new
> feature makes BerkeleyDB-based repositories just as wedge-proof as FSFS
> repositories."
>
> --
> JH

Please review the comments about the new Subversion in
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/ticket/2047. You apparently
overlooked these critical items (removing certain packages from the
distribution). Of course, if it is determined that we should go to
1.4.x for BLFS-6.2, then we will consider it, but right now I believe
the path is to update to the newest 1.3.x version and do 1.4.x after
BLFS-6.2.

Please, don't hesitate to comment. I've been out of touch with BLFS
for quite a while now and am just getting back in action.

--
Randy