locales, nls - supportable or not?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 09:16:10 PST 2006

On 11/18/06, Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov at ums.usu.ru> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote:
>
> As for the status of UTF-8 support on the console, here it is.

<snip>

Thanks for the explanation.

> > And my experience was that most unicode characters
> > wouldn't work on the console for me.
>
> Didn't work for input or for output? Please paste your
> /etc/sysconfig/console and $LANG, and let me see if anything is wrong.

Here's what I was using before I commented it out:

#FONT="lat1-16 -m 8859-1"
#UNICODE="yes"

With LANG=en_US.UTF-8. I didn't pursue it very long, though, as
xterm/gnome-terminal always did the right thing for me and I typically
spend most of my time in GNOME anyway.

--
Dan