locales, nls - supportable or not?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 07:19:25 PST 2006

Apologies for not replying earlier. I really didn't know what to say.

On 11/14/06, Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov at ums.usu.ru> wrote:

> there was a thread on blfs-support that really made me think that all my
> efforts of adding locale support to the book were in vain. See
> http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/blfs-support/2006-November/061520.html
>
> The problem is that the wrong answer is given to the original poster by
> TWO editors, and nobody corrected them. On this basis, I declare that
> locale issues are not really supportable (and DIY is right in ignoring
> them), and demand immediate removal of all UTF-8 related patches and
> instructions from LFS and BLFS (and putting back the words like "UTF-8
> does not work and requires substantial undocumented modifications to the
> build process"). It is better to be honest and don't claim non-existent
> support.

I'd rather not remove very useful features even though they can't be
supported well right now. But I'll address that in a different post.

> Incorrect contents of /etc/sysconfig/console. Please use:
>
> KEYMAP="es euro2"
> UNICODE=1
> BROKEN_COMPOSE=0
> FONT="LatArCyrHeb-16"   # or "lat0-16"
> LEGACY_CHARSET="iso-8859-15"
>
> This will (contrary to what Dan Nicholson states) give you the correct
> input and display of all characters used in Spanish both in the console
> and in xterm.

Where did I get this bogus information from? It was from _you_ back
when you I was trying to test out the nautilus-cd-burner bugs and you
told me I needed to at least get xterm with luit set up for proper
UTF-8 support. And my experience was that most unicode characters
wouldn't work on the console for me. Plus all the conversations on
lfs-dev about getting patches for utf-8 support into linux and having
the patches rejected. So sorry for spreading FUD, I'll keep my mouth
shut on these issues from now on.

--
Dan