locales, nls - supportable or not?

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Nov 15 05:20:50 PST 2006

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> The problem is that the wrong answer is given to the original poster by
> TWO editors, and nobody corrected them. On this basis, I declare that
> locale issues are not really supportable (and DIY is right in ignoring
> them), and demand immediate removal of all UTF-8 related patches and
> instructions from LFS and BLFS (and putting back the words like "UTF-8
> does not work and requires substantial undocumented modifications to the
> build process"). It is better to be honest and don't claim non-existent
> support.

Where exactly is this "non-existent" support claimed? Where does LFS or
BLFS say 'if you have UTF-8 or locale related issues, you are guaranteed
support on our lists'? In fact, I don't think anyone is guaranteed
support on any topic in the lists - it's a matter of those who have time
and who (hopefully) know the answer piping up and responding.

I understand where you're coming from, Alexander, but I don't think
removing all the hard work you put into it is the answer. The work you
did was a large step in the right direction. True, it would be better if
more developers had a fuller understanding of locale issues (likely a
result of lack of incentive as English works out-of-the-box), but as it
is, the energy of LFS/BLFS as a whole seems to be waning somewhat.
Asking the developers to put forth extra work to go in a direction that
seems to be 2 steps backwards - it just doesn't seem likely to happen.

--
JH