Perl Modules: some notes

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 12:03:52 PST 2006

Bernard Leak wrote:
> Randy McMurchy wrote:
>> My dictionary shows the two words to be synonyms.
>
> Since you raised the point, I checked.  Mine doesn't.  Normally I'd use
> the OED, but my copy is a long way away: I'm using the SOD as a
> temporary substitute.  If your dictionary says something different, it's
> weird
> and wrong.  What IS your dictionary?

www.dictionary.com:

de‧pre‧ci‧ate  /dɪˈpriʃiˌeɪt/

–verb (used with object)
1.	to reduce the purchasing value of (money).
2.	to lessen the value or price of.
3.	to claim depreciation on (a property) for tax purposes.
4.	to represent as of little value or merit; belittle.
–verb (used without object)
5.	to decline in value.
[Origin: 1640–50; < LL dēpretiātus undervalued (ptp. of dēpretiāre, in
ML sp. dēpreciāre), equiv. to L dē- de- + preti(um) price + -ātus -ate1]

—Related forms
de‧pre‧ci‧at‧ing‧ly, adverb
de‧pre‧ci‧a‧tor, noun

—Synonyms 4. disparage, decry, minimize.
—Usage note 4. See deprecate.

dep‧re‧cate  /ˈdɛprɪˌkeɪt/
–verb (used with object), -cat‧ed, -cat‧ing.
1.	to express earnest disapproval of.
2.	to urge reasons against; protest against (a scheme, purpose, etc.).
3.	to depreciate; belittle.
4.	Archaic. to pray for deliverance from.
[Origin: 1615–25; < L dēprecātus prayed against, warded off (ptp. of
dēprecārī), equiv. to dē- de- + prec(ārī) to pray + -ātus -ate1]

—Related forms
dep‧re‧cat‧ing‧ly, adverb
dep‧re‧ca‧tion, noun
dep‧re‧ca‧tor, noun

—Synonyms 1. condemn, denounce, disparage. See decry.
—Usage note An early and still the most current sense of deprecate is
“to express disapproval of.” In a sense development still occasionally
criticized by a few, *deprecate has come to be synonymous with the
similar but etymologically unrelated word depreciate in the sense
“belittle”*: The author modestly deprecated the importance of his work.
In compounds with self-, deprecate has almost totally replaced
depreciate in modern usage: Her self-deprecating account of her career
both amused and charmed the audience.