X Configuration

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 21:34:43 PST 2006

I seem to have sparked a little interest with my comments on X
configuration.  That's good.  We need to generate more interest on this
list.

I'd like to summarize what I think are the issues and continue to refine
them so we can put something useful in the book.  As an alternative, we
can also put info into the wiki.  I note that we already have a
substantial amount of related info in the wiki about Fonts, Input
Methods, and Display and Monitor Sections.  (Thanks Alex.)

Here are the new areas that are candidates:

AIGLX - Acclerated Indirect GL for X

xorg.conf
  -- Don't load GLcore explicitly
  -- Enable Composite/Damage extensions

Additional Utiliities
  -- xcompmgr
  -- transset (I can't find the source to this outside of svn)

Use of DPMS by X
  -- acpid (When to use and not to use)

Other areas that should be considered:

  What do each of the X extensions do
  -- e.g. Why would I want to load that
     Sor far, the best references I've found are:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System_protocols_and_architecture#Extensions
and http://people.freedesktop.org/~jg/roadmap.html

  Interaction between some drivers and extensions
  -- e.g. nv and nvidia drivers vs dri and glx extensions

  Invocation options
  -- Turning off networking

I'm not proposing a major addition to the book in any of the above
areas, but would like to consider a paragraph or two for each, possibly
with links to more information.

What do y'all think?  Do you have any suggested topics or reasons for
leaving something out?  Any suggested wording?