X Configuration/ KDE Issues

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 15:58:58 PST 2006

On 12/20/06, Alan Lord <lord_alan at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote:
> > I think that'd be nice to have. I think KDE can do some cool stuff
> > with Composite. We might want to mention xcompmgr, too. Some day I'm
> > going to work on getting real compositing with compiz over AIGLX or
> > XGL in the book.
>
> I have xorg 7.1.99 (or there abouts!) running very happily with Beryl
> (The compiz fork with more activity). I use the Nvidia binary so have no
> need for XGL or AIGLX. It works a treat and makes Vista look pretty dated!

AIGLX should be on by default in the Xserver. Then it's basically just
a matter of using a compositing windowing manager if you have the card
and driver to support DRI. Mesa-6.5.2 just enabled more of the OpenGL
spec, I believe.

Oh, have you heard about the new free nvidia driver, nouveau? It's
being developed from the ground up rather than hacking more on nv.
Most importantly, the people hacking on it are serious X developers
like Dave Airlie (the DRM maintainer). He just merged it into the
master trees yesterday. Should be interesting to see what happens
there.

http://airlied.livejournal.com/37578.html

> I recently wrote a brief howto on the lfs-general(on gmaine: used to be
> known as lfs-chat) list if you are interested.

I'll dig through the archives for that.

> PS - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all {X}LFS contributors. This
> is a great project and I hope that with the new server things might
> start to help liven things up a bit again!!!!

You too.

--
Dan