X Configuration/ KDE Issues

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 14:55:39 PST 2006

On 12/20/06, Randy McMurchy <randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> I'm really not qualified to comment. I'm still using Xorg-6.9 and
> still have never built the autotooled version of Xorg yet. I'm way
> behind in the X world, but am I really that behind? Is there any
> *real* functionality that has been added in the last while that
> I'm doing without because I haven't moved to the autotooled version?

Assuming you don't care about OpenGL eyecandy, I can think of a couple
things that are in Xorg-7.1 or are coming soon.

evdev. I got a fancy mouse a little while ago. I first tried using it
with the "mouse" driver with a million settings to try to get all the
buttons working. Then I switched to evdev with zero configuration.
Everything works exactly as advertised. Even the thumb side buttons in
a web browser. Slick.

Randr-1.2. Keith Packard has been hammering away on this. It will
basically eliminate all configuration on screens, including multiple
monitor setups. Essentially, you plug in a monitor and things go on
the fly. I think this is Xorg-7.3 timeframe.

Input hotplug. No need to kill the xserver and reconfigure when adding
input devices. This is going in for Xorg-7.2.

--
Dan