X Configuration/ KDE Issues

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 14:46:03 PST 2006

On 12/20/06, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to know other opinions about pursuing a KDE update right now.

I think that if you've checked out the release notes and you're fairly
certain that these are bug fixes, then you should go ahead and update
it. So long as you've done some minimal testing to see that there are
no major regressions. Randy might say differently.

> ---------------
> In any case, I started looking at the KDE prereqs at
> http://www.kde.org/info/requirements/3.5.php and I noticed some things I
> haven't seen before with regard to X.  There are Recommended and
> Optional X extensions:
>
> Render - Recommended
> Fixes - Optional
> Composite - Optional
> Damage - Optional
> DPMS - Recommended
> Video - Optional
>
> When I looked at my Xorg7 setup, I didn't see Composite or Damage.  In
> addition my log said that there was a problem with ACPI.
>
> I was able to fix the ACPI issue by getting acpid from sourceforge.  The
> build was make && make install, but I had to fix up the code a bit as
> warnings were treated as errors.

The acpid thing is kind of a non-issue (depending on your
perspective). If you're running KDE or GNOME (don't know about XFCE),
they have much smarter power management utilities than can be offered
by apcid. HAL + gnome-power-manager, for instance, completely
deprecates acpid.

The power management facilities used by the xserver over acpid are
pretty minimal, I think. IIRC, it tries to power down parts of the
graphics card and the monitor on some ACPI state changes. But, if you
have a minimal X setup, this might still be useful.

> I was also able to enable both the Composite and Damage extensions by
> adding the following to xorg.conf:
>
> Section "Extensions"
>     Option "Composite" "Enable"
> EndSection
>
> My question is whether we should put either (or both) of these issues in
> the book?  The xorg.conf sections could be placed into  "Additional X
> Window System Configuration".  The acpid issue could be mentioned in the
> same section or a new (rather small) page put in the book.

I think that'd be nice to have. I think KDE can do some cool stuff
with Composite. We might want to mention xcompmgr, too. Some day I'm
going to work on getting real compositing with compiz over AIGLX or
XGL in the book.

--
Dan