X Configuration/ KDE Issues

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 14:30:17 PST 2006

Dan's commit to Xorg got me to looking around a bit.  I still want to
update KDE, but I'm not sure if the result is worth the effort.

We have kde-3.5.2 in the book and the current is 3.5.5.  The point
releases are bug fixes and minor feature updates.  A summary of the
fixes is at

http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-3.5.{3,4,5}.php

(Note 3 urls above)

There is still no KDE4 schedule, but a developer snapshot, KDE 3.80.2
was released Oct 31.

I'd like to know other opinions about pursuing a KDE update right now.
---------------
In any case, I started looking at the KDE prereqs at
http://www.kde.org/info/requirements/3.5.php and I noticed some things I
haven't seen before with regard to X.  There are Recommended and
Optional X extensions:

Render - Recommended
Fixes - Optional
Composite - Optional
Damage - Optional
DPMS - Recommended
Video - Optional

When I looked at my Xorg7 setup, I didn't see Composite or Damage.  In
addition my log said that there was a problem with ACPI.

I was able to fix the ACPI issue by getting acpid from sourceforge.  The
build was make && make install, but I had to fix up the code a bit as
warnings were treated as errors.

I was also able to enable both the Composite and Damage extensions by
adding the following to xorg.conf:

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

My question is whether we should put either (or both) of these issues in
the book?  The xorg.conf sections could be placed into  "Additional X
Window System Configuration".  The acpid issue could be mentioned in the
same section or a new (rather small) page put in the book.

Thoughts?