some nit-picky stuff

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 16:16:40 PDT 2006

On 8/22/06, Allard Welter <allard at quicknet.nl> wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 August 2006 20:35, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> > On 8/21/06, Allard Welter <allard at quicknet.nl> wrote:
> > > Need more than just the two TTF in /usr/share/font as these don't
> > > include symbols. Try browsing maths page in wiki for instance.
> >
> > Allard, could you point me to the specific page? I want to see if the
> > fonts I have installed provide the symbols.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_space
>
> The arrows, element signs etc. came up as cute little blocks with
> numbers in them. As a physics student I'm probably a little biased, it
> was kind of as an illustration.

That's understandable. When I was an electrical engineering student,
it used to drive me insane that I couldn't see math related characters
on our poorly administered Solaris boxes. I'll check when I get home
if I can see the symbols correctly on my LFS box.

I don't know if you use Firefox, but there's a neat feature included
on the 1.5 builds called MathML. It's an XML markup language using
mathematical entities. It's pretty cool.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/

The important thing for this topic is that there are links on that
site to TTF fonts with good math symbols. Maybe you can try these out.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/fonts/
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/fonts/bakoma/texcm-ttf.zip
http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/windows/general/latestfonts.html

IIRC, the Mathematica fonts are excellent.

> > please read this page first.
> >
> > http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/x/x-setup.html#fonts
>
> I'll give it an in depth perusal sometime soon thanks. I have had many
> font-fights in the past - give me abstract algebra any day.

As have many people. That was the point of that lengthy writeup.
Hopefully it will make the everything a lot clearer.

--
Dan