some nit-picky stuff

Allard Welter allard at quicknet.nl
Tue Aug 22 15:59:44 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 22 August 2006 20:35, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 8/21/06, Allard Welter <allard at quicknet.nl> wrote:
> > Need more than just the two TTF in /usr/share/font as these don't
> > include symbols. Try browsing maths page in wiki for instance.
>
> Allard, could you point me to the specific page? I want to see if the
> fonts I have installed provide the symbols.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_space

The arrows, element signs etc. came up as cute little blocks with
numbers in them. As a physics student I'm probably a little biased, it
was kind of as an illustration.

[...]

> please read this page first.
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/x/x-setup.html#fonts

I'll give it an in depth perusal sometime soon thanks. I have had many
font-fights in the past - give me abstract algebra any day.

> Because some variation on this topic comes up every other week, I
> will be placing links to this page on the X install page. No one ever
> reads the X setup page.

Why read if you can hack? Seriously, I used to go through all sorts of
superstitious rites in the hope my students would read their
material :)