some nit-picky stuff

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 11:35:16 PDT 2006

On 8/21/06, Allard Welter <allard at quicknet.nl> wrote:

> Need more than just the two TTF in /usr/share/font as these don't
> include symbols. Try browsing maths page in wiki for instance.

Allard, could you point me to the specific page? I want to see if the
fonts I have installed provide the symbols.

The current way we are handling this is to expect the user to follow
the fonts discussion and install more TTF fonts. As you found out, the
ones shipped with X hardly cover anything. You could install all your
fonts in /usr/share/fonts, but please read this page first.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/x/x-setup.html#fonts

Because some variation on this topic comes up every other week, I will
be placing links to this page on the X install page. No one ever reads
the X setup page.

One thing I will absolutely be doing before BLFS goes to release is
cleaning up the Fontconfig related pages so that it will be easier and
more obvious to install and configure fonts (for Xft). I just need
some time to play around with configuration to find the most sane way
to address this.

--
Dan