Dead Project? (I hope not)

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 11:24:23 PDT 2006

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
>>> I'm waiting on linux-2.6.18 so we can use a supported upstream
>>> implementation, rather than rolling our own.  That's been delayed
>>> somewhat by Linus' recent break.
>>>
>>  I suspect that the 2.6.18 headers will break some packages, but
>> that's only based on what we've had to do for the clfs linux-headers
>> and general comments on lkml from the people doing the header
>> changes.
>
> Interesting.  Is this because of userspace apps incorrectly using
> kernel headers, or is it because the header cleanups have been too
> aggressive?

I think it's more a matter of not being aggressive enough. I know that
there are still a LOT of places in those headers that depend on the
kernel config. I hope they can get it fixed up before they release
2.6.18. The last I looked at it, 2.6.18-rc1 it was a complete disaster.
The current clfs headers have built me a system through gnome and/or kde
without any patching.