Courier fonts missing in Xorg-7.1 [fixed]

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 14:47:35 PDT 2006

On 8/15/06, David Rosal <david.3r at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote:
>
> > That certainly would find all the fonts installed by X. The reason
> > that we don't do it this way is because including all the X fonts will
> > probably result in you getting an ugly font when a TrueType one would
> > be preferred.
>
> But if you put the TTF and OTF dirs before the 100dpi and 75dpi
> ones in Section "Files" of xorg.conf, the TrueType fonts would
> have precedence over the *dpi ones, isn't it?

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/x/x-setup.html#fonts

The fonts section of the book describes this. I wish this was in a
more visible location because these kinds of questions come up fairly
often. Maybe I'll put a link there on the Fontconfig page.

There are two different font systems at play. The Core X fonts (which
you won't be using if you install any modern desktop) uses the "Files"
listing in xorg.conf. This will default to finding all of the fonts in
/usr/lib/X11/fonts, and you can order them however you want.

Xft via fontconfig searches for fonts in /usr/share/fonts and renders
fonts with Freetype. Thus, it has the ability to antialias and scale
fonts. Providing fontconfig with bitmapped, non-scalable fonts is not
making the best use of this system. So, we leave the X fonts where
they go by default and let fontconfig know about the subset of these
fonts that render well in the Xft system.

--
Dan