Courier fonts missing in Xorg-7.1 [fixed]

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 14:23:36 PDT 2006

On 8/15/06, David Rosal <david.3r at gmail.com> wrote:

> In "Chapter 25. X Window System Environment / Xorg Fonts", at
> the end, some symlinks are created from /usr/share/fonts to
> $XORG_PREFIX/lib/X11/fonts, but only the TTF and OTF directories
> are symlinked. This causes Fontconfig to find only the fonts in
> those directories. The fix here is to create symlinks for all
> font directories:
>
> install -v -d -m755 /usr/share/fonts &&
> for fontdir in OTF TTF Type1 misc 75dpi 100dpi; do
>         ln -svn $XORG_PREFIX/lib/X11/fonts/$fontdir \
>                 /usr/share/fonts/X11-$fontdir
> done
>
> After that, and after fc-cache, fc-list shows all fonts properly.

That certainly would find all the fonts installed by X. The reason
that we don't do it this way is because including all the X fonts will
probably result in you getting an ugly font when a TrueType one would
be preferred. For instance, in Firefox, if you request Helvetica and
fontconfig knows about all the X fonts, you won't get what you expect.
At least you should consider leaving "misc 75dpi 100dpi" out of the
for loop because these are not scalable.

One solution (the one in BLFS now) is to install appropriate TrueType
fonts from external packages. For instance, if you install the DejaVu
fonts (and fiddle with fonts.conf), you will get a TrueType font that
works well in most European countries. And this font will look a lot
better than the X font, depending on your preference.

$ fc-match Courier
DejaVuSansMono.ttf: "DejaVu Sans Mono" "Book"

See the discussion here:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/x/x-setup.html#fonts

--
Dan