Courier fonts missing in Xorg-7.1 [fixed]

David Rosal david.3r at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 13:41:42 PDT 2006

Hi.

I've just installed xorg-7.1 following BLFS-SVN, and found that
some fonts that were available in xorg-6 were not available
anymore, for example the courier ones.
I checked that by running fc-list.

I found the root of this problem, and I think it might be
reflected in the BLFS book:

In "Chapter 25. X Window System Environment / Xorg Fonts", at
the end, some symlinks are created from /usr/share/fonts to
$XORG_PREFIX/lib/X11/fonts, but only the TTF and OTF directories
are symlinked. This causes Fontconfig to find only the fonts in
those directories. The fix here is to create symlinks for all
font directories:

install -v -d -m755 /usr/share/fonts &&
for fontdir in OTF TTF Type1 misc 75dpi 100dpi; do
	ln -svn $XORG_PREFIX/lib/X11/fonts/$fontdir \
		/usr/share/fonts/X11-$fontdir
done

After that, and after fc-cache, fc-list shows all fonts properly.

Cheers.

__david