mutt 1.5.12

Ag. Hatzimanikas a.hatzim at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 02:36:00 PDT 2006

On Τετ, Αύγ 09, at 09:52 Dan Nicholson wrote:

> Actually, it was Archaic who was running 1.5.11 and came in with an
> emphatic "it's been stable for months" or something similar. If you
> can believe that.

That's plain wrong. :)
He is running an old stable 1.4.* something.
Thank god,he didn't corrupt our friend Ken Moffat when he decided to
drop pan for mutt.
(:A big smile for Archaic.:)

> So, for me to say that the new development version of Mutt is stable
> within a month of its release is a stretch.

You are totally in sync with your track statement in #2072 and just for
you Dan.
I really did the job just because you said so.

> Keep the positive reports
> coming in, and maybe it'll happen after a while.
> Now, if the  developers would just pull it together and make one "stable"
> release...

Actually there is a semi-hidden frustration (in mutt-users) about this
policy.The worst of all is that mutt is being under heavy and active
development.
Things like that made me to try the other day mh folders.

> And there is a place to report these things (besides the mailing
> list). The Wiki is perfect for this. It's like hints on steroids.

For some is not.Count me in,in those who think that way.
You see I believe in direct live communication.

I thought the other day about Elinks ( http://elinks.cz/ )
a rather unknown but extremely powerful text browser.
a.It has tabs built in
b.it can save sessions
c.You can connect to an already running instance of elinks
with the remote mechanism and open a new tab,from any other
application (mutt.shell,firefox,vim etc...).
	elinks -remote "openURL($URL, new-tab)
d.You can pass the current URL or any other link in the current
page in any application you want (firefox,wget,clipboard).
	screen  -S mysession -p www -X stuff "wget -c ${2} -P\
	/mnt/external/sources"
e.It has 'ala firefox keywords support' (URI rewriting mechanism).
... and the list goes on.

Now that is what I call live communication.
Someone will read it,maybe someone will comment on it,maybe a dev
will decide that is a good application that it worths to be included
in the book, etc...

I think the mailing lists is a tool that we don't use all of it's power.

> I certainly don't want this to be a one way street where people just
> wait for the editors to get things done. I read something interesting
> from Mark Shuttleworth, the head guy for Ubuntu a while back. He
> talked about how he needed his core developers to stay on target
> making sure that the platform was stable. It was the people outside of
> this circle that provided fresh insight and experimented with new
> ideas. These people paved the way for what would happen next.
>
> I think that holds true here, too.

Sure it does.

>At least I'll be listening. :-)

And I know you do.