Latest ORBit2 (or why the BLFS dependency scheme sucks)

Juerg Billeter j at bitron.ch
Sun Aug 6 23:46:25 PDT 2006

On Sam, 2006-08-05 at 08:36 -0500, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Greg Schafer wrote these words on 08/04/06 17:30 CST:
>
> > However.... the latest ORBit2 package demonstrates how fragile this system
> > is.

> Here's the deal with ORBit2 and popt:
>
> Grepping the sources shows that ORBit2 is a listed dependency for
> HAL, GConf and libbonobo. Now all you have to do is the trivial
> dependency check of those three packages for popt, and add popt to
> the deps if it needs to be. And of course, determine if one is a
> dependency of another so it popt isn't listed redundantly.

Not sure but that doesn't look right to me. Assuming GConf and libbonobo
don't use popt anymore (which will be correct for GNOME 2.16) you have
to check all reverse dependencies of these packages and then you check
the reverse dependencies of those packages and so on. I'm not so in
favor of the current dependency list technique, especially as I don't
see any advantage besides a shorter dependency list - which could be
hidden with some xslt magic.

Jürg
--
Juerg Billeter <j at bitron.ch>