Latest ORBit2 (or why the BLFS dependency scheme sucks)

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 16:07:53 PDT 2006

On 8/4/06, Greg Schafer <gschafer at zip.com.au> wrote:

Nice Subject:, Greg. :)

> However.... the latest ORBit2 package demonstrates how fragile this system
> is. The latest ORBit2 (part of Gnome-2.14.3) no longer depends on popt.
> The popt dependency was actually removed some time ago but the configure
> check mistakenly remained. This has now been fixed.

This is definitely the time when this dependency listing hurts. A low
level library buried in the dependency chain is tough to find.
Essentially, this is the "worst nightmare" of this style.

> This has consequences for BLFS because ORBit2 is so deep in the platform
> stack that all the Gnome deps will now have to be revisited :-(  It may
> well be prudent to just ignore it for now then redo everything when
> Gnome-2.16 comes along. But I wouldn't be surprised if Randy (having such
> a fine attention to detail) is already on the case? :-) It's probably too
> much work to change the BLFS dependency scheme to list all deps explicitly.

We'll definitely get it fixed. Randy is very on top of things. FWIW,
in my scripts I list out all the dependencies (using that clever GNU
make procedure you showed). Here's what I have looking for popt:

$ grep -l popt * | sed 's/\.deps$//'
cryptsetup-luks
desktop-file-utils
eog
GConf
gdm
gedit
gnome-utils
gnome-vfs
gstreamer-0.8
gstreamer
gucharmap
libbonobo
libdv
libgnomeui
libgtop
librsvg
nautilus
notification-daemon
ORBit2
popt
yelp

Those might not be 100% accurate, but I try pretty hard to find all
the dependencies. I actually would prefer to see all the dependencies,
but this argument has been had before and some people are very opposed
to it.

--
Dan