Chapter 24. X Window System - visual changes

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 13:43:32 PDT 2006

DJ Lucas wrote:

> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~dj/blfs-x7-temp/index.html

As I go through the pages, I'm confused about the downloading of the
files and where I should be for each step.  I think we need more
explicit instructions for this area because it is so complicated.

Something like:

XBUILDROOT=${PWD}
wget -nd -r ftp://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/sources/BLFS/svn/x/wget/

to retrieve the wget files.

Then make subdirectories

for file in *.wget; do
  dir=`echo $file | sed -e 's/.wget//'`
  mkdir -p $dir
done

Finally in each section (using proto for an example)

cd $XBUILDROOT/proto
wget wget -i ../proto.wget

for package in *.tar.bz2
do
  packagedir=`echo $package | sed 's/.tar.bz2//'`
  tar -xf $package &&
  cd $packagedir &&
  ./configure $XORG_CONFIG &&
  make install
  if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
    break #stop the build if the previous command failed
  fi
  cd .. &&
  rm -rf $packagedir
done 2>&1 | tee -a ../xorg-proto.log #log the entire loop

This is different from the general case because there is no explicit
'make' stage.

We also need some size and time estimates for each section.