Thoughts on Tcl (long but necessary)

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 19:13:48 PDT 2006

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote these words on 04/28/06 20:40 CST:
>
>> Based on this analysis, I am in favor of eliminating the sed completely.
>>  Its one of those legacy things that has developed a life of its own for
>> no documented reason.
>
> I'm not sure you understand what the tclConfig.sh program does.
> It is crucial to almost every package that uses Tcl.
>
> Unless you are certain, and 100% sure in what you are doing, you
> should not remove that sed. Again, 100% certain in what you are
> doing. 99.9% won't get it.

Exactly.  I am *not* 100% sure what is in the book is correct.  In fact
I am less than 50% sure.

The more I research this, the more I think that this should be a basic
CMMI package.  We should just fundamentally use the LFS Chapter 5
instructions:

cd unix
./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-threads
make

make install
make install-private-headers
ln -sv tclsh8.4 /tools/bin/tclsh

Nothing more unless we can positively establish a need.  At least they
say that the private headers are needed for expect.