rp-pppoe

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Fri Apr 28 00:58:56 PDT 2006

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

>Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

>>>dial-up or is a (cumbersome) way to account for connection time.  You
>>>have a user id and password.  Why?  Because someone might splice into
>>>your line?  How silly.
>>>

>>Yes, because such types of crime are common here. And don't forget: in
>>Russia, unlimited plans are available to organizations only (or are
>>crippled to something like "HTTP-only, 128 kbps"). Traffic costs
>>something like $0.1 per megabyte, and I certainly don't want to end up
>>with a bill exceeding my salary. That's why the password.
>>

>Interesting, but from what I can tell, the username/password is sent in
>the clear.  If someone does splice into the line, couldn't they just
>listen and sniff the data?

Not at all, if the ISP uses CHAP instead of PAP. Also, for the intruder,
injecting data into the phone line, while my computer is off, requires
only a splitter and a cable modem. Sniffing the cable (not the ethernet
cable, but the phone line before the splitter) requires equipment not
commonly available.

>The traffic costs seem to be quite a rip-off.  What is that cost again?
> What you have above is 10 cents per MB.  If that's the cost, then there
>is quite an incentive to steal.

Yes, that's approximately the price. 2.50 RUR per megabyte on the
"Classic" plan (see http://ekt.usi.ru/home/ek/internet/xdsl/tarif/), and
1USD = 27.36 RUR today.

But I use the "Pop" plan, not "Classic".

--
Alexander E. Patrakov