rp-pppoe

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 23:02:43 PDT 2006

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
>>> From what I have read, an ISP may want it to integrate with their
>> dial-up or is a (cumbersome) way to account for connection time.  You
>> have a user id and password.  Why?  Because someone might splice into
>> your line?  How silly.
>
> Yes, because such typs of crime are common here. And don't forget: in
> Russia, unlimited plans are available to organizations only (or are
> crippled to something like "HTTP-only, 128 kbps"). Traffic costs
> something like $0.1 per megabyte, and I certainly don't want to end up
> with a bill exceeding my salary. That's why the password.

Interesting, but from what I can tell, the username/password is sent in
the clear.  If someone does splice into the line, couldn't they just
listen and sniff the data?

The traffic costs seem to be quite a rip-off.  What is that cost again?
 What you have above is 10 cents per MB.  If that's the cost, then there
is quite an incentive to steal.