Addressing cyrus-sasl ldapdb circular build

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Wed Apr 26 00:16:45 PDT 2006

Randy McMurchy wrote:

> do you really think folks will build the
> circular "because they can"?

<snip>

> Hopefully, you see my point. I'm thinking that you may just have too
> much expectation that newbies will be installing these types of
> packages, whereas I don't. They are specialized packages designed
> for a specific (though vary varied) purpose and I just can't
> imagine someone installing them, "because they can".

You formulated this very well. My thinking is based on the fact that, before
client-only instructions were added to the Samba page, one person on
#lfs-support thought that he needed to install the bootscript in order to print
to a remote Windows system. With SASL, I thought that the situation is similar:
people might see OpenLDAP dependency on one of KDE pages (for shared address
book in KMail), and install its optional dependencies "just in case, because I
don't really know whether I need it, and don't want to recompile if I actually
need it".

But, as you correctly noted, there are no support questions related to this, so
no need to hurry.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov