Addressing cyrus-sasl ldapdb circular build

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Apr 25 23:00:14 PDT 2006

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote these words on 04/26/06 00:45 CST:

> Formally there is an _optional_ circular dependency. The text in the Wiki will
> benefit a bit if it explains when this circular dependency is indeed
> unavoidable. Otherwise, people will build that "just because it is possible".

Thanks for your courteous reply to my rather curt response to your
original suggestion. But do you really think folks will build the
circular "because they can"?

I think not, but perhaps I'm placing a bit too much expectation on
the intelligence level of the readers. I can't imagine anyone
installing LDAP or Cyrus-SASL, unless they have some sort of clue
how to use it/them. These aren't support packages for other packages
(though Cyrus could be considered that way, but only by experienced
users knowing what they are doing), they are installed with the
expectation that the installer knows what he is doing and why he is
installing the package.

Do you really think folks just install packages for the hell of it?
I don't. Perhaps I'm grossly confused. But we sure don't get many
support questions about LDAP or SASL. :-)

Hopefully, you see my point. I'm thinking that you may just have too
much expectation that newbies will be installing these types of
packages, whereas I don't. They are specialized packages designed
for a specific (though vary varied) purpose and I just can't
imagine someone installing them, "because they can".

--
Randy

00:50:00 up 31 days, 12:27, 1 user, load average: 0.03, 0.21, 0.40