Addressing cyrus-sasl ldapdb circular build

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Tue Apr 25 22:45:28 PDT 2006

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote these words on 04/26/06 00:14 CST:
>
>> Thanks. Could you please explain (in the Wiki) any example use case where such
>> circular dependency is essential for a working setup, i.e., describe a situation
>> where neither cyrus-sasl built without ldap nor openldap built without sasl will
>> work?
>
> Why is that necessary? If you feel it important Alexander, please
> draft the text and submit it to this list. I don't understand why
> we need to explain a circular dependency. Saying there is one and
> how to get around it, is sufficient.

I don't feel it is important. It is just a low-priority suggestion to improve
the text in the Wiki. Feel free to ignore it.

I am not a SASL expert (I do run a LDAP server and connect to it using SASL
authentication mechanisms, but I don't run saslauthd and thus have no use for
LDAP support in Cyrus-SASL), so I cannot provide you with good text.

But I will reword my suggestion to make it more clear.

Formally there is an _optional_ circular dependency. The text in the Wiki will
benefit a bit if it explains when this circular dependency is indeed
unavoidable. Otherwise, people will build that "just because it is possible".

--
Alexander E. Patrakov