Xorg 7 dependencies - ed

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 15:36:01 PDT 2006

On 4/25/06, Chris Staub <chris at beaker67.com> wrote:
> libXaw does use ed in it's configure script. Looks like ed should be
> added back to Xorg 7's list of dependencies, unless someone who knows
> more than I do wants to look at the configure script (line 19150) and
> figure out what it actually does and determine if we really need it.

I built Xaw without ed.  Wait, your right.  Now I see what the problem
is.  Configure uses ed to insert some lines in the local libtool to
set SONAME.  If you don't have ed, it keeps going and reports fixed:

checking hacks in libtool for libXaw SONAME... ./configure: line 19150: ed: comm
and not found
fixed

What ends up happening is that libXaw.so gets the wrong SONAME.

$ readelf -d /usr/lib/libXaw.so
0x0000000e (SONAME)                     Library soname: [libXaw7.so.7]

If you do have ed, here's what it looks like.

$ readelf -d libXaw.so
0x0000000e (SONAME)                     Library soname: [libXaw.so.7]

Good catch, Chris.

If no one is against this, I will add ed to the required dependencies of Xorg.

--
Dan